Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"THE DECISION" FESTIVAL ARTIST: RON HOLSEY

Ron Holsey is a native of the Washington, DC area and a graduate of Northwestern University. An award-winning playwright and television writer, Ron has more than forty produced television credits for numerous shows including, Big Time Rush, Martha Speaks, Curious George, Arthur, Johnny Test, My Friends Tigger and Pooh and Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide. He is a recipient of the Nickelodeon Writing Fellowship and was in the Terra Firma Films Emerging Writers Program. He was nominated for a 2012 Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Animation Writing. 

INTERVIEW


1. Your Play "Coming Home" is in The Decision Play Festival. What's the story about and what inspired you to write it?

"Coming Home" is a play about the role of technology in our lives in the context of a date gone awry.  When Marshall and Laura come home after their first date, Marshall's computer can't seem to keep his opinions to himself.

Technology is changing the way people interact with each other.  And in some ways it's scary.  I wanted to write a play that dealt with those ideas.

2. How has this election been different for you?

I think this election has had the most averse affect on my blood pressure. During one of the debates I was screaming all the things Obama should have been saying.  I had to turn it off and go take a walk.

3. As an artist, what do you think your responsibility is politically to your community (or do you think you even have one)?

I suppose an artist's main responsibility is to be honest, to get at the truth of things.  Beyond that, I don't see a greater responsibility to cultivate my political agenda.  I have opinions, but who is to say whether they're right or wrong?  Of course everything you do as an artist will be influenced by your beliefs, whether they're political, moral, psycho-sexual, you name it.  But to say I have a responsibility makes it feel like I'm saying I know better than everybody else - which is definitely not true.  I hope people engage with my work, but they do so at their own risk.  Maybe I should have the audience sign a waiver.

4. What would it take for you to vote for the other party?

There are actually a lot of things that would get me to consider voting for the other party: torture, demonic possession, stroke, dissociative identity disorder, mixing Ambien with Vicodin, to name just a few.

5. What do you miss about Bush?

Haven't seen one of those in a long time.  Everybody trims.   I hear it's different in Japan.

6. What are you looking forward to in 2013?

I'm actually very hopeful about 2013.  I see lots of signs of economic recovery and people seem to be getting less grouchy.  (They're as hateful as ever, but they seem content.)  Either that or the Mayan calendar is right and the world will be destroyed.



THANK YOU!


THE DECISION PLAY FESTIVAL

CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE

The Decision is a short play reading festival about what happens after the heated election but also where we will be or should be after this November.  This event is a fundraiser for the Limitless Health Institute and to help families affected by the storm and living in shelters supported by Safe Horizon.
Join us in watching a series of funny, incisive, dramatic short theatre peices. The Decision will feature a series of 10 minute plays written and directed and acted by some of New York's finest artists.

LOCATION:
The Three Jewels, NYC61 Fourth Avenue, Third FloorNew York, NY 10003

TIME: 
*Saturday 11/10, 7pm
*Sunday 11/1, 3:00pm
*Monday 11/12, 7:00pm
* *Suggested Donation $10 for Saturday or Sunday/$15 for Monday (All 8 plays)
Email 2012playfestival@gmail.com with Sat, Sun, or Mon
in the subject line.  


Space is limited!  Reserve your seat today.

No comments:

Get What You Want: April 2024

  1. PAC NYC- THE DEMOCRACY CYCLE DEADLINE: April 1, 2024 WEBSITE: www.pacnyc.org/the-democracy-cycle-submission-guidelines/ Over a 5-year p...